Saturday, July 15, 2017

While I Was Gone. . .

3 of the 5 paintings that have been done since my last post.

So, a year has whizzed by since the last time I posted here on the bloggy blog.  I've been in a few art shows I didn't post about (which is just downright silly).  Here's what you missed:

"Frog's Breath"; 8"x10" Gouache; 2016

Back in October of 2016 I was in a Witches and Ghosts themed art show over at the Bearded Lady's Mystic Museum.  The piece, which I titled 'Frog's Breath' was a fun and ambitious little piece.  Recently all my paintings take much longer than I think they will.  This one was late, but the trade off was that it was my first forest painting!  The piece didn't sell at the event, which ended in early December, so I donated it to a Charity Auction at work.  The piece sold there and all the proceeds went to the Los Angeles Children's Hospital.

"Madeline"; 5"x7" Gouache; 2017

Then, back in February I was in another show over at the Mystic Museum.  This one was a tribute to both the TV show "The Twilight Zone" and the movies and TV shows of Alfred Hitchcock.  I chose to do a Hitchcock piece, and referenced Vertigo.  I was very happy with how this piece turned out and it's now very happy at it's new home up in Washington.

"Audrey Horne"; 5"x7" Gouache; 2017

My second to last piece (the 4th will get a post all it's own), was also at the Mystic Museum and opened back in June.  It was for a Twin Peaks/X-Files show.  There's a kind of funny story about that piece (simply titled "Audrey Horne").  Audrey is pretty much one of the most popular characters on the show.  I loved her and totally wanted to paint her, but I assumed that everyone else in the show would be doing pieces of her and I didn't want to be just one of many people doing Audrey.  So I thought I'd try doing Laura, but trying to be all pop-surrealist with it.  I also thought I'd try painting on wood.  Only problem was that I was working on two big paintings at the same time and that was NOT the time to be experimenting with new mediums.  The painting failed epically after an initial good start.  I missed the deadline completely for that show's opening night.  As luck would have it, NO ONE painted Audrey and I was given a second chance by fate to do the piece I initially wanted to do.  Which was pretty much what I painted.  Had I had a little more time I'm sure it wouldn't look TOO much different, but it would have been noodled a bit more than it had been.

Ms. Fenn at the signing.  My painting is right next to her.

The framed version of the painting, w/ autograph.

Close up of the autograph.
"Audrey" also got a very special honor.  She was submitted in time for Sherilyn Fenn (the actress who portrayed Audrey) to Autograph it!  The same day I submitted the painting to the shop, they were having a meet and greet with her, so they had the frame autographed.

She is still listed as available over at the Mystic Museum's website, so if you're interested go check it out!


No comments: